Monday, July 27, 2009

I am officially old now.

My 20 year high school reunion was this weekend! It made me reflect on what a unique high school experience I had. I have never met anyone who speaks as fondly of their high school years as my classmates and I do. Many of my closest friends to this day are girls I met in high school.

Reunion Pic, 600 pixels wide

I attended an all-girls catholic school in Northfield, IL called St. Louise de Marillac High School. Marillac closed in 1994, or rather merged with Loyola Academy in Wilmette. (So yeah, now I am considered a Loyola alumna.)

Marillac followed a philosophy of “responsible freedom”. There were no bells at the start and end of classes. It was our responsibility to be on time for where we needed to be. It was a blessing to grow and mature is this unique and nurturing environment. As a young woman, it was also very empowering to be in school where the class president was a girl, the biggest jock in the school was a girl, the valedictorian was girl, etc.

My graduating class was small, just 94 girls. Within that class there were groups of friends of course, but not harsh lines defining “cliques” as is common in high school. Everyone got along with everyone else, which is probably why twenty years later it was easy to give all of these girls a hug and talk as if no time had passed at all.

Ladies, it was great to see you all this weekend. And it was especially wonderful to be back on campus where so many friendships and memories were formed. Hugs to all!

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

I am also an LdM alumni. Is that Sister Ann-Marie in the 2nd row on the left? Back in the day, the nuns wore blue habits & veils & we used to debate if they had hair!
Lorelei Levesque in FL